We usually go out for dinner on the weekend, so I tend not to do much cooking on Saturday or Sunday. However, this particular Saturday night, my fiancé was invited to a corporate event at the footy, which meant that I had a rare night at home. I decided to use this chance to cook up something new; and flicking through the pages of a Christmas present – Donna Hay’s Simple Dinners – I found a recipe for one-pot chorizo and cous cous. Continuing my healthy eating attempts, I substituted quinoa for cous cous and added in mushrooms for extra nutrients – but don’t worry, it still tastes delicious!
What you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 chorizos, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 250g baby spinach leaves or kale
- 150g mushrooms
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges (optional), to serve
What to do:
- The original recipe called for sliced onions to be pan-fried with the chorizo – I forgot to buy any, but it would definitely add great flavour to the dish!
- This made a LOT of quinoa; I was bringing leftovers in for lunch almost every day for the next week! We had some leftover BBQ chicken from dinner one night and I shredded some into the quinoa and chorizo, which also worked really well, so that’s another option if you’re not too keen on chorizo.
- Add more chilli if you want an extra kick; half a teaspoon did not make this dish especially spicy.