I am incredibly grateful and flattered to have been nominated by two blogs for the Liebster Award, after less than a month of blogging (I’m responding very belatedly to the nominations!)! So a huge thank you to Christina at myrainbowtravel and Mohit and Trupti at Getaway Journal for thinking of me 🙂
This award is a wonderful way to connect with and share new blogs, with the rules being:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer the eleven questions they ask you
- Nominate eleven bloggers with less than 500 followers
- Ask those bloggers eleven new questions
- Let those bloggers know they have been nominated, so they can continue the chain!
As I was nominated twice, I’ve got two sets of questions to answer, so in the interests of efficiency, I’ve combined the two sets of questions:
1. What does your blog name mean?
My blog name is a play on the word wanderlust, for my love of travel, with luxe thrown in because I did have the idea that I would focus more on luxury travel, food and experiences. However, I should note that luxury to me does not necessarily mean outrageously expensive, but rather quality and enjoyment, which is why you’ll see on my blog posts of cheap eats and free events.
2. What’s your first travel memory?
My first travel memory was flying to the Philippines from Sydney when I was about 6 or 7, with my mother and brother, which was my first actual memory of being on a plane. I remember being extremely excited on boarding, and then being extremely nauseous once the plane took off. Fortunately, this experience did not dim my desire to continue travelling!
3. How long have you been on the road for?/Which countries have you lived in?/How many languages do you know?
I’m currently at home (Sydney), but the longest time I’ve been travelling would have been about two months. It was the year I graduated from university and before I began full time work, and I spent three weeks in Europe with a high school friend, before flying to Canada to meet up with my family.
I lived in the Philippines for a few years as a baby/toddler, but for the rest of my life I’ve lived in Australia.
Fluent in English, conversational Mandarin, Japanese and Hokkien.
4. How do you get free time to travel?/How do you find time to blog?
I am fortunate to work for a company that has very generous leave policies! Although, people at work are still amazed that I have surplus leave days, despite travelling so much! I do also try to plan around public holidays to make the most of my leave days.
I really enjoy writing, so that combined with some of the things I’m most passionate about makes it relatively easy to make time to blog. Although, there are a fair few late nights, getting words and photos just right!
5. What’s your best wildlife experience?
I spent time at a turtle sanctuary in Vanuatu where we swam with and fed giant turtles, and oohed and aaahed over adorably tiny baby turtles.
6. Have you ever been robbed while travelling?/Scariest experience while travelling?
I can’t think of anything particularly scary happening on my travels, but I suppose walking the streets of Florence at 4am in the morning with a giant suitcase was quite nerve-inducing!
7. What’s your dream destination that you haven’t been to yet?
Too many to pick just one! Most of my dream destinations are inspired by books, movies or historic events – Morocco, Turkey, Spain, Greece, Egypt…
8. What’s your next travel destination?
I have trips to Kangaroo Island and Singapore slated for later in the year – any recommendations for either would be greatly appreciated!
9. Which country has surprised you the most and why?
I was surprised by how much I liked Germany because I thought it might have been staid and uptight. Boy was I wrong! I first went there on a short term university exchange program, where I lived in Berlin for a month and I was blown away by the incredible culture, nightlife and variety of events and activities. I visited Munich a few years later and was this time impressed with the beautiful scenery in Bavaria, and the beer! Munich is the only place I have ever been where I have actually wanted to drink beer.
10. Has travelling changed how you look at life?
I can’t remember ever not travelling (I received my first passport at 6 months!), so it’s really just a regular part of my life. I think travelling does encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try new things, which is something that I try to do even when I’m at home.
11. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
I really enjoy writing and as my day job does not allow for much creativity, blogging satisfies some of those urges. My blog is filled with activities and things that I love, so that naturally means I enjoy sharing my experiences of them. I also like checking out and being inspired by other people’s blogs!
Continuing the chain, here are the blogs that I’m nominating for the Liebster Award. They all have one thing in common – they all enhance my wanderlust and inspire me to travel more!
- Eat Sleep Shoot Travel Blog
- My Passport in My Pocket
- Scissors and Sage
- Hotel Junkie
- Natural Euphoria
- Parisian Escapades
- 1001 Travel Ideas
- Pigging out around the world
- Travelling the world, one bite at a time
- Jump Off The Beaten Track
- Little Big Explorations
And the eleven questions:
1. What made you decide to start blogging?
2. Strangest food you’ve eaten on your travels?
3. Which movies/books/tv shows have inspired your travel destinations?
4. Best piece of advice you have ever received?
5. Favourite travel memory?
6. Craziest thing you have done to get a good photo?
7. Which reality tv show could you see yourself on and why?
8. First thing you do when you get home from a trip?
9. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
10. What is one tip that you would give aspiring/new bloggers?
11. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Look forward to seeing your answers and happy blogging!